High50 loves the website Nutriadvanced for its invaluable advice. We recently spotted an excellent article on what foods we should eat if we want to make sure our oestrogen levels remain high. At the same time, HRT can interfere with the absorption of essential minerals and vitamins we need like Iodine, Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc and Vitamins B and C. Why are these so important as we age?
- Iodine is vital for our immune systems, for breast and prostate health and supports the liver to detoxify
- Magnesium is essential to keep our body’s pathways moving so we don’t have cramps, spasms, depression, anxiety, insomnia and high blood pressure.
- Manganese keeps our enzymes healthy so we absorb nutrients properly. It’s also an antioxidant and helps heal wounds.
- Zinc is a must at our age because without it our sex drive and immune levels suffer, we can put on weight and succumb to hypothyroidism and chronic diarrhoea.
- Vitamin B helps ward off tiredness, depression, anxiety, headaches, nausea and even weight gain.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to absorb iron, forms collagen and is important for our immune systems.
So what can we do? Read here to find out more but very simply:
- Eat lots of cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower
- Eat organic meat and dairy products
- Eat foods rich in fibre (beans, lentils, chickpeas, wholegrains etc.)
- Seek out fermented foods and drinks (like kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut) to support health gut flora
- Choose glass bottles and storage bottles over plastic – plastics can contain oestrogenic compounds